Friday, May 11, 2007

"hast thou considered the tetrapod," from the sunset tree

jason was a well-intentioned investment banker, but for some reason he had a tic where he just couldn't stop hitting my mother. being the oldest, i got my fair share of the tortured hand; i always felt worse for him than i did for me, because i, like john, could say "i am young and i am good," while i doubt he had anything to look forward to except dying.

it's an adolescent song, really, probably the most adolescent song darnielle's ever written: there's a big bad dude, i have headphones, i will evolve, yeah! making light of it would be dickish and irresponsible (and why would i? living in an abusive household sucks), but there's something to be said for the fact that darnielle's trope is EVOLUTION rather than war-like struggle. when i was 13 i was an avid huffer, grade-f student, and utter basketcase--what does it mean to be a martyr with no redeeming qualities? something like an embryo, i guess.

1 comment:

sy2k said...

Hey,
I've never really read your Stylus blog, (or any of them, really. I check every now and again,) but my friend told me about this and I got really excited. Darnielle has a song for every emotion, situation, person, and Lord knows he has a big enough catalogue to make this blog last for a long time.
Keep it up. I'll keep reading.
-Scott